Almost daily we are bombarded by deceptive marketing strategies trying to convince us that beauty is only as far as the latest anti-aging cream. In fact cosmetic and skin care companies are trying to brainwash you into thinking that you need their artificial and expensive beauty products. The problem is that these products are often containing chemicals and ingredients which are damaging to the skin, hormone regulation, and internal organs, and do more harm than good in the long run, and sometimes even create the very problem we're trying to get rid of!
Although many known causes of aging, breakouts, and wrinkles are a complex combination of environmental, dietary and internal changes, many people think the answer is to spend hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on dermatologists, expensive anti-aging creams and potions, injections of toxic substances and fillers, or going under the surgeon’s knife. Just think of how much money you’ve spent on skin care, cosmetics, and other beauty products (or even cosmetic procedures) in your lifetime. I bet the thought of it is scary! But don't worry... creating beautiful, youthful skin is as simple as looking to nature for help.
Nature is the Answer
Then I discovered something called the Oil Cleansing Method. Since stumbling upon the Oil Cleansing Method, my skin has undoubtedly become more soft, clear, and virtually wrinkle-free, and I always get compliments. The best part - everyone thinks I'm much younger than I am!! The OCM method has many benefits that you need to know about if you want to have beautiful, glowing, younger-looking skin!
What is the Oil Cleansing Method?
In Nature, your skin naturally lubricates itself with oil, called sebum, and this is a built-in method of protection that our bodies have developed. Not only does your sebum help lubricate, but it also heals, protects, and moisturizes your skin so that it may do it’s job. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing. Our skin NEEDS oil to be healthy, so don't be afraid of applying oil (the RIGHT oil) to your face. I was petrified to use oil on my skin because, well, I suffered from oily skin and thought that applying more oil would make it worse, I was WRONG! Oil, alone, will not produce blemishes.
Oil Cleansing is a safe, effective, and inexpensive way to clean and nourish your
skin. When you continually strip the natural oils from your face with commercial soaps, cleansers, and astringents, your body tries to compensate by producing more oil, leading to break outs, and skin disorders. On the other hand, when you provide your body with the correct nourishing oils, the overproduction does not occur and your skin becomes more stable and balanced.
Benefits of the Oil Cleansing Method
1) Gently But Thoroughly Cleans Skin - Clean, nourishing oils and skin oils lift excess sebum, the oily substance produced by glands on your skin, clean out clogged pores like blackheads and whiteheads, and remove dead skin, pollutants, and makeup (many commercial makeup removers contain oil)
2) Can Protect the Natural Lipid Barrier - Commercial soaps and cleansers can damage the lipid layer of the skin. Using oils instead can help protect the natural lipid layer of the skin and the good bacteria that live there. Recent research shows that the bacteria that thrive on our skin can help protect against infection like acne (2).
3) Can Help Balance and Nourish Skin - Traditional cleansers can irritate the skin, cause excessive dryness, aggravate acne (3) and ultimately result in the skin overproducing oil after washing. Oil cleansing, on the other hand, can help balance the skin and lock in hydration.In addition, oils used for cleansing may also have healing properties, important nutrients, or other skin-boosting benefits. and help dry, mature skin.
4) Is Cost Effective - Commerical cleansers, makeup removers, anti-aging creams and serums, moisturizers, and night creams are very costly. Oils used for the Oil Cleansing Method costs only pennies a day.
5) Does Not Contain Hormone Disrupting or Cancer Causing Chemicals - Almost all commercial cosmetic and beauty products contain harmful chemicals that can disrupt our hormones or be linked to cancer! Some examples are triclosan, triclocarban, toluene, phthalates, petroleum distillates, parabens (specifically propyl-, Isopropyl-, Butyl-, and Isobutylparabens), methylisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone and benzisothiazolinone, fragrance.
Popular Oils to Use
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- castor oil
- sweet almond oil
- grapeseed oil
- avocado oil
- sunflower oil
- apricot kernel oil
- argan oil
- jojoba oil
Each oil produces a different result for different skin. For example, castor oil is very cleansing and is great for acne-prone skin, while argan oil is highly moisturizing and is great for mature or dry skin. Regardless of what oils you choose, it’s important to buy high-quality oils. When possible, look for cold-pressed, unrefined, virgin oils that are meant to be used on the skin, or are food-grade oils.
It may take a week or two for your skin to adjust. “Purging,” or breakouts that are caused by new products bringing bacteria to the surface of your skin, isn’t typical in oil cleansing. However, if you’re getting an increase in breakouts, especially after you’ve been oil cleansing for a couple of weeks, you may need to change the oils you use, or use 50/50 (or weaker) diluted apple cider vinegar and water solution as a toner after cleansing. This will help remove any excess oil, balance the pH of your skin, and make your skin brighter.